Unfortunately, the word we need to consider today is treason. Here is your friendly word nerd’s definition:
- A betrayal of trust or confidence, as among friends.
- Also high treason A betrayal of allegiance to one’s country, its sovereign (in a monarchy), or its fundamental institutions of democracy and of government (in a democracy or democratic republic), as by
- Overthrowing or attempting to overthrow the government or its institutions;
- Killing, committing violence against, or attempting to kill or commit violence against the representatives of the government or its fundamental institutions, or their families; or
- Collaborating or attempting to collaborate with the enemies of one’s country, whether in time of war or of peace.